PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) — One of two men charged with conspiring to murder a Woonsocket woman more than two years ago has been granted bail.
In a hearing Wednesday in Providence District Court, the state withdrew its objection to Tyler Grenon’s bail, which the judge set at $50,000.
Grenon was set to be released after posting the necessary $5,000 cash.
Police allege Grenon, 23, and Matthew Dusseault, 20, were responsible for the death of 81-year-old Constance Gauthier, who was found stabbed more than 60 times inside her Fairfield Avenue home in March 2016.
The two men were arrested in July on first-degree murder and conspiracy charges. Police said forensic evidence gave them what they needed to connect the suspects to the killing but on Wednesday, Grenon’s attorney Collin Geiselman claimed there was no physical evidence against his client.
“I have not been provided with any physical evidence connecting him to the crime,” he said.
Geiselman also said Grenon is “looking forward to clearing his name.”
Court documents obtained by Eyewitness News earlier this week revealed Dusseault implicated Grenon in the killing and admitted to being in Gauthier’s home at the time, but told police he only helped Grenon stage the break-in as a robbery.
- Target 12: Murder suspect admits victim reached out to him ‘in her dying breath’ »
- Related: Warrants indicate there were other suspects in Woonsocket murder »
Grenon lived next door to Gauthier at the time and he was the one who reportedly found her body, having looked into her window out of concern. He was first arrested a week later on non-murder charges related to the investigation but those charges have since been expunged from his record.
Detectives are still unclear on a motive for the murder.
Dusseault remains held without bail until a hearing scheduled for August 29. Eyewitness News has a call out to his attorney for comment.