PAWTUCKET, R.I. (WPRI) — A Pawtucket cigar lounge is closed until at least Feb. 9, following unanimous votes from the Pawtucket Board of License Commissioners.

The board held an emergency meeting Tuesday after a deadly shooting early Monday morning.

Police responded to the club on Newport Avenue around 12:45 a.m. Monday and found two men outside suffering from gunshot wounds.

Both men were taken to Rhode Island Hospital where Qudus Kafo, 36, was pronounced dead. Bruno P. Vaz, 37, remains hospitalized, but police say he is improving, according to family.

Police believe the shooting stemmed from a fight inside the lounge, and said both victims were shot by another person or people who were involved outside in the street. No arrests have been made.

A small memorial surrounded a portion of the lounge on Tuesday, with graffiti on the building that read “Rest in peace, Qudos,” surrounded by candles.

In a memo from Pawtucket Police Captain David Holden to the board, new details emerged regarding how the evening played out inside the lounge prior to the shooting.

During the investigation, police say it was revealed Vaz and Kafo were involved in “several verbal arguments/altercations with a group of males and females inside the establishment.”

Police say the groups were separated several times by security and lounge staff, who were observed speaking with Kafo and Vaz on several occasions. The police memo notes a security officer “positioned himself in a fixed post between both groups.”

The memo from police states these events took place over a period of approximately 45 minutes; and when Vaz, Kafo and another group exited the establishment, they became involved in another verbal and physical fight “directly outside the lounge.”

Police say during the fight outside, “an individual who was inside the establishment and also involved in the earlier verbal exchange produced a firearm and shot the two victims.”

In Tuesday’s emergency meeting, the board agreed to continue the hearing to Feb. 9.

Pawtucket Mayor Don Grebien released a statement in part Monday, saying the “reoccurring violence related to this business is deeply concerning.”

“Fab City Cigar Lounge is a public nuisance, putting a strain on the Pawtucket Police Department resources,” the statement continued.

12 News spoke with Pawtucket City Council President David Moran, who represents the neighborhood where the shooting took place, and asked if there was any truth to the mayor’s statements.

“I won’t deny that, and the litmus test right now would be, again, how many calls originated to go to that establishment?” Moran said.

Police tell 12 News officers have responded to nearly 200 calls for service at FabCity since 2019, with 114 service calls last year alone. Of the 114 calls in 2021, 57 were security checks and 24 were liquor establishment checks.

Pawtucket officers have responded to the lounge nine times so far this year, with the most serious call being Monday’s homicide.

“You’ve got to look at every single call, but this is serious in nature, there’s nothing more serious than the death of an individua,” Moran said.

“We certainly take this seriously, the board of license commissioners, and the city council, and as the council president, we’ll deal with it swiftly,” he added.

Moran says there have been other incidents in the neighborhood, notably another fatal shooting further down Benefit St. last February, which he says didn’t end up being formally linked to the lounge.

Police detail was put into place in the area as a result for several weeks, which Moran says was a first of its kind action in the city.

“It worked, as far as we know, because we got a report afterwards from the police, and there were no incidents, whatsoever, whether it was from the cigar lounge or anything else in that vicinity,” Moran said.