CUMBERLAND, R.I. (WPRI) — A hazmat situation in Cumberland is now under control, officials say.
First responders were called to the scene of a propane leak on Ashton Park Way off Mendon Road around 7 a.m. Wednesday.
Fire Chief Nicholas Anderson said two 30,000-gallon propane tanks were in an isolated area at a transfer station, but only one was leaking.
Shortly after 8:30 a.m., hazmat teams were able to shut the valve of the tank, which was reported to be faulty.
Be the First to Know: Get the 12 News App to receive breaking news alerts on your phone or tablet »
A Suburban Propane spokesperson told 12 News in a statement one of the pressure relief valves malfunctioned, resulting in a “small, premature release of propane vapor.”
“The issue was quickly resolved by our local safety personnel and the overall integrity of the system was not compromised in any fashion,” the statement continued. “Further inspections will be done to ensure the continued safety and operational integrity of that system.
“Anytime you have any sort of gas under pressure, you’re asking for any serious consequences with any fire that’s why the incident gets to the scale it does,” Anderson said.
Anderson said the faulty valve was a result of age and lack of maintenance.
The R.I. Department of Environmental Management (DEM) said it will be following up with the owner of the tank to estimate how much propane was released.
Anderson said they were going to evacuate local businesses, but they didn’t need to based on their meter readings.
No injuries were reported.