JOHNSTON, R.I. (WPRI) — Crews in Johnston were called to a massive house fire on Finne Road Sunday afternoon.
The call came in just after noon and when crews arrived, the home was completely engulfed in flames.
According to Assistant Fire Chief Ronald Castelli, the responding firefighters had significant water problems.
The nearest hydrant was almost 4,000 feet away, so fire crews had to rely on a tanker task force.
“We had to rely on a tanker task force from Scituate, Smithfield, Glocester, Chepachet, to get water supply here,” Castelli said.
Once crews were able to put out the fire, smoke still spilled into the area. The entire home was reduced to charred rubble and one car was destroyed. Two other vehicles were heavily damaged.
VIDEO NOW // Johnston house fire
There were two people inside the home when the fire started, but they were able to make it out safely. Fire officials said a dog was found dead in the home and the family’s cat is still missing.
According to Johnston Fire Marshal Thomas Marcello, it appears the fire started when a man was doing mechanical work on his motorcycle.
“Most likely there was an ignition source from a propane heater in the garage, the vapors from the gasoline from the motorcycle probably ignited, from what he described to me it sounded like that’s exactly what happened so we’re gonna look a little closer but we’re pretty sure that’s what it was,” he said.
The state fire marshal’s office is also investigating and will likely be back out at the scene again Monday.
The American Red Cross is now helping the five adults who lived in the house. A GoFundMe page was also set up for the family.
VIDEO NOW // Johnston House Fire Neighbor’s Reaction