Flames gut Middletown home

middletown fire_150441

MIDDLETOWN, R.I. (WPRI) — Firefighters were called to a home on East Main Road in Middletown shortly after midnight on Saturday.

Thick smoke and flames were pouring from the roof. Subfreezing temperatures caused icy conditions, which made things difficult for firefighters.The Portsmouth and Navy fire departments provided mutual aid.

Middletown Fire Chief Ron Doire told Eyewitness News two men and a woman inside the home made it out safely. However, two cats were killed.

Investigators say the fire started in the kitchen, and has been ruled accidental.Doire said that it appears that the residents were using the kitchen stove to heat the home.

“Stoves are made for cooking food and not made for heating the homes,” Doire said, “and this happens unfortunately too often. When people use them for unintended purposes it starts a fire.”

The home suffered extensive fire, smoke, and water damage. The Red Cross is assisting the residents who were displaced.

Last month, Rhode Island received an additional $2.45 million in federal funds for the state’s Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


Download Mobile Apps from WPRI 12
DOWNLOAD APPS NOW: Apple App Store | Google Play Store

Veteran's Voices: Honoring Those Who Serve

More Veterans Voices

Dan Yorke State of Mind: Dan's Daily Update

DYSOM 10/28/2020: Rep Anastasia Williams

More Dan Yorke State of Mind

Don't Miss

Viewer Pa on WPRI.com


More Live Cams

Community Events & Happenings

More Community

The Border Report Tour

More Border Report Tour