SMITHFIELD, R.I. (WPRI) — Investigators are looking into the cause of a fire that broke out overnight at a vacant home in Smithfield.

The flames sparked up about 2:30 a.m. at a house on Leland Mowry Drive, in the Esmond section of town.

Smithfield Fire Chief Robert Seltzer said the fire is considered suspicious since the house was vacant and there was no power running to it.

“The house was kind of open, it wasn’t really secured very well, and based upon where the fire started it looks like somebody may have lit it so we’re we’re handling it as a suspicious fire right now,” he explained. “It’s the first time that there’s been any problems in this particular area.”

Three firefighters are recovering after responding to the home. One was treated for heat exhaustion and the other two for carbon monoxide exposure.