BRISTOL, R.I. (WPRI) — Vicky Jiang said she was working at Sawa Asian Bistro in Bristol Saturday when she saw the home next door go up in flames. The home belongs to her family.
Fire crews arrived at the home, located on Wood Street, around 7:30 p.m. and began fighting the flames that were tearing through the family’s second-floor apartment.
“When I went out I was looking for my mom and my baby girl because we were afraid they stayed inside,” Jiang told Eyewitness News.
Jiang and four family members, including her baby daughter Maggie, just moved to Bristol in January to open their business.
The family said everyone got out of the home safely, but their belongings were not so fortunate.
“Everything got damaged. The whole house — furniture, clothes, everything,” Jiang said.
She said the first floor of the building was vacant and the landlord had just put the home up for sale.
Dozens of neighbors gathered to watch the fire crews work, offering support to the family.
“The flames were just pouring out of the top of the house. The firemen were just dousing it,” said neighbor Joanne Mello. “It looks like it’s gonna collapse. I’m afraid for those firemen because I’m afraid something really bad’s going to happen.”
The fire chief told Eyewitness News the fire is under investigation and they are unsure where in the home it started. He said the damage is “significant.”
“Next status is to go inside and do a granular search to see what we might have,” Chief Robert Martin of the Bristol Fire Department said.
The Red Cross is assisting the family. Jiang said she doesn’t know what they will do next, but they are all just thankful to be alright.
“Life is most important,” she said.