Document details interaction between Jenkins, police

Shayanna Jenkins testimony_158594

Shayanna Jenkins, fiancee of former New England Patriots football player Aaron Hernandez, testifies during his murder trial, Friday, March 27, 2015, in Fall River, Mass. Hernandez is charged with killing Odin Lloyd. (AP Photo/CJ Gunther, Pool)

FALL RIVER, Mass. (WPRI) — The fiancée of Aaron Hernandez took the stand Friday for a much-anticipated day of testimony.

Much of the questioning from prosecutors to Shayanna Jenkins involved the days surrounding June 17, 2013, the day Odin Lloyd was found shot to death in North Attleboro. Hernandez has been charged with the murder, which took place in an industrial park about a mile from the couple’s home.

Before the jury entered the courtroom Friday morning, Jenkins testified about her initial conversation with Hernandez about the murder.

“I asked him if he did it, and he said, ‘No,'” she said.

With the jury back in the courtroom, Jenkins testified that Lloyd was one of Hernandez’s two marijuana dealers. She told the court Hernandez and Lloyd were friends – but not the best of friends – and that her relationship with Lloyd was “cordial.”

Her first reaction to the homicide was far more emotional, according to a search warrant affidavit filed about two weeks after the murder. The document details the initial contact between police and Hernandez and Jenkins.

Jenkins was the one who drove Hernandez to the police station when he was prompted to go in for questioning in Lloyd’s death. According to the affidavit, when officers informed Jenkins about Lloyd’s death “she immediately began to cry.”

Back in court, Jenkins testified that there was a gun in a “junk drawer” in the couple’s home. She was asked to compare that gun to a handgun prosecutors said is similar to the murder weapon, which was never found.

Both in the affidavit and in court, Jenkins said she’d last seen Lloyd the Saturday before the early Monday morning shooting. She testified that she and Hernandez were at South Street Cafe in Providence celebrating Fathers Day that night, arriving back home early Sunday morning.

Prosecutors allege Lloyd was shot to death about 24 hours later.

Jenkins faces one count of perjury for allegedly lying to the grand jury. She’s slated to be back on the stand Monday morning.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


Download Mobile Apps from WPRI 12
DOWNLOAD APPS NOW: Apple App Store | Google Play Store


More 12 Informa

Don't Miss

Viewer Pa on

Community Events & Happenings

More Community

The Border Report Tour

More Border Report Tour
Live Cams on