1st Massachusetts West Nile death of 2015 confirmed

News

BOSTON (AP) — The state health department says a Boston-area man in his 60s has died of West Nile virus.

It is the first death from the mosquito-borne virus in Massachusetts this year and also the first in the state in three years.

The health department said Tuesday the man likely contracted West Nile in Suffolk County and was hospitalized before his death. A second Boston-area man in his 60s also was hospitalized for West Nile.

The two newly confirmed cases are the fourth and fifth this year. Six were reported last year.

The health department is raising the West Nile risk level to high for Boston, Chelsea, Revere and Winthrop in Suffolk County.

People are urged to protect themselves against mosquitoes and limit outdoor activities in the evening, when mosquitoes are most active.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Providence

Download Mobile Apps from WPRI 12
DOWNLOAD APPS NOW: Apple App Store | Google Play Store
PINPOINT WEATHER // Quick Links:

Don't Miss

Don't Miss Community Events

More Community

Target 12

Live Cams

Nexstar Founder's Day of Caring
Nexstar Founder's Day of Caring: WPRI 12 employees give back to community