Buffalo Wild Wings employee dies following chemical incident

Massachusetts

BURLINGTON, Mass. (WPRI) — A Buffalo Wild Wings employee is dead following what police are calling a “chemical incident” inside the kitchen.

The incident occurred at the restaurant chain’s location off of South Avenue Thursday evening.

Interim Burlington Fire Chief Michael Patterson said the employee was exposed to a potent cleaning product and began feeling nauseous from breathing in the fumes.

He was rushed to Lahey Hospital where he later died.

“The employee attempted to squee-gee the product out of the building when he was overcome,” Patterson said.

At least 10 others – two patrons and eight employees – checked in at area hospitals with similar symptoms. Patterson said he does not believe any of the victims are in serious condition.

Patterson said the restaurant was immediately evacuated. While there is no immediate threat to the public, Patterson said the restaurant will remain closed for the rest of the night.

The incident remains under investigation at this time. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration has been notified of the incident.

Patterson said anyone who was inside the restaurant and thinks they may have been impacted should seek medical treatment immediately.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Providence

Download Mobile Apps from WPRI 12
DOWNLOAD APPS NOW: Apple App Store | Google Play Store
PINPOINT WEATHER // Quick Links:

Don't Miss

Community Events & Happenings

More Community
Live Cams on WPRI.com