BOSTON (WPRI) — The Boston Marathon officially made its triumphant return to Patriots’ Day for the first time since 2019 on Monday.

After a smaller and socially distanced race in October, about 30,000 runners signed up for the 26.2-mile trek that started in Hopkinton and ended in Copley Square.

The men’s wheelchair race kicked off the day at 9:02 a.m. with the last wave stepping over the starting line around 11:15 a.m.

Evans Chebet, of Kenya, won the race in an unofficial time of 2 hours, 6 minutes, 50 seconds. Peres Jepchirchir, of Kenya, celebrated the 50th anniversary of the Boston Marathon women’s division by winning in an unofficial time of 2 hours, 21 minutes, 1 second.

(Story continues below gallery.)

Organizers have had 139 days since the only fall race in Boston Marathon history to prepare for this year’s event — but they were ready.

Security surrounding the highly-anticipated event was ramped up across the city, especially in light of the recent attack on the New York City subway.

Boston FBI agents and Massachusetts State Police (MSP) said Monday morning they were doing everything in their power to make sure runners and spectators were safe. Both agencies had said last week they weren’t aware of any specific threats, but they were ready to respond to any situation.

Agents spent the day embedded along every point of the marathon route, which has been standard procedure in recent years. The Copley Square MBTA Station was also closed all day to subway riders.

(Story continues below video.)

While many stood on the sidelines ensuring everyone remained safe, a number of local law enforcement members participated in the race, including two Rhode Island State Troopers who were raising money for Cops for Kids with Cancer.

As a team, troopers Chris D’Angelo and Jacquelyn Applin committed to raise $8,000 to help Rhode Island families with the financial and emotional difficulties that come with having a child battling cancer.

Legally blind Warren resident Robert Sanchas and his guide Jeremy Howard also laced up their shoes for the marathon.

Even though he hated running while serving in the U.S. Army, Sanchas decided to give it another shot in 2016. He previously told 12 News that running has given him a new lease on life.

Former WPRI anchor Caroline Goggin and her husband made it to the finish line in just under four hours. The couple dedicated each mile to several local stroke survivors and victims, and raised $25,000 for Tedy’s Team.

Goggin completed the marathon nearly three years after suffering from an ischemic stroke at the age of 27.