PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) ─ A local nonprofit organization is hoping to help less fortunate Rhode Islanders protect themselves from the coronavirus.
Family Service of Rhode Island is creating “coronavirus kits,” which will include, as available, antibacterial soap, disinfecting wipes, alcohol-based hand sanitizers and other essential cleaning supplies.
Coronavirus: Latest Headlines, Map, Resources »
Vice President of Advancement Maggie Slane said the organization is hoping to raise $5,000 to create 200 kits for families on fixed incomes who may be struggling to make ends meet.
While Slane said she is able to provide these household items for her family, she’s trying to put herself in the shoes of those who can’t.
“I think about what I would want for my own family, and then I think about what every family should have access to,” she said.
Slane said anyone who would like to help fund the creation of the kits can donate $25 by texting the words “Be Safe” to the number 44321 or visit the organization’s website.
Coronavirus: Latest Headlines
- Kent County Courthouse and R.I. Traffic Tribunal closed due to coronavirus
- Cranston church’s offer of palms prompts call to police
- Gaspee Days parade, arts and crafts festival cancelled due to COVID-19
- 15 new COVID-19 deaths in Massachusetts; 231 total
- Local shop teams up with Vans for “Foot The Bill” initiative