Holly Vine from ‘Holly Likes to Cook’ is in the kitchen making Sunchoke and Cashew Soup. Also called Jerusalem Artichokes, this Sunchoke soup is made deliciously creamy by the addition of raw cashew nuts.Makes 4 servings
- 1lb/3 cups sunchokes
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 medium white onion
- 6 oz/1½ cups raw cashew nuts
- 4 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Scrub the chokes with a medium bristled brush to remove any dirt and rough patches of skin then chop in half. Cut any especially large chokes into quarters so that they are all equally about an inch cubed.
- Toss the chokes in olive oil, salt and pepper and tumble into a baking dish along with the peeled garlic cloves.
- Roast at 390F for about 25 minutes until tender.
- Dice the onion and fry in a little oil in a large stock pot, fry for about ten minutes on a low heat until the onion is meltingly soft and unctuous. Use a low heat to keep the onion from browning, this will keep the flavor mellow and sweet.
- When the sunchokes are tender, pour them, the roasted garlic and any pan oils into the stock pot with the onions. Add the stock and raw cashews then bring to a high simmer for 10 minutes.
- Use a stick blender to puree everything into a thick creamy soup.
- Serve with a blob of creme fraiche or sour cream, a drizzle of oil and some fresh parsley as a tasty autumnal lunch.