Chef Anthony Chiero of Costantino’s Ristorante and Venda Bar is in the kitchen making Braised Short Rib Sliders.
(Makes 6 sliders)
For the short ribs:
- 18oz of beef short rib cut into 3oz pieces
- 10 large cloves of garlic cut in thirds
- 3 large shallots cut into a large dice
- 1Tbs of Dijon mustard
- 1Tsp of granulated garlic
- 1 large sprig of rosemary
- 2 cups of red wine
- ¾ cup beef broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil for searing beef
For the slider:
- 1 Spanish onion sliced thin and sautéed in olive oil
- Six cazzottini from venda ravioli or 6 small slider buns
- Horseradish sauce to spread on slider buns. (boar’s head makes a good one)
- 3oz of arugula
- 6oz of Cabot sharp cheddar cheese sliced thin and into pieces the pefect size to cover the short rib
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Season short rib meat liberally with salt and pepper. Heat a saute pan, with a thin layer of olive oil, over medium-high heat. When the olive oil begins to smoke slightly, add the short rib to the pan and brown meat on all sides.
- When meat is seared golden-brown all over, add the onions, garlic and rosemary. Continue to saute the meat and vegetables for 1 minute.
- Add red wine, beef broth, Dijon mustard, granulated garlic and a pinch of salt and pepper. Bring ingredients to a boil and shut of heat. The braising liquid should cover about ¾ of the meat, with the top of the short rib still exposed.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil and put the whole pan in the oven. Total cooking time in oven should be 3 hours. After 2 hours to check short rib for tenderness and flip the meat to submerge the top.
- After three hours remove pan from the oven and remove aluminum foil. Allow to cool slightly
- Remove meat from cooking liquid to a deep dish, stain cooking liquid into the deep dish to cover the short ribs. Discard onions, garlic, rosemary and anything that was strained out.
- Before preparing a slider reheat the short rib meat by gently simmering them in the cooking liquid on the stove
Directions to make slider:
- Slider reheat the short rib meat by gently simmering them in the cooking liquid on the stove
- Cut the cazzottini/slider bun in half.
- On the bottom half apply a thin layer of horseradish sauce
- Add the hot short rib piece
- Add the cheddar cheese
- Add the sautéed onions
- Add the arugula
- Apply another thin layer of horseradish sauce to the top side of the cazzottini
- Rest the top of the cazzottini on top of the arugula and stick a tooth pick in to keep it from falling over