WARWICK, R.I. (WPRI) — To help you and your child start off the new school year right, WPRI 12, FOX Providence and The CW Providence held our first Back to School Expo.
People flocked to the Warwick Mall for music, dancing, and science experiments.
Chris Raffa with Eyewitness News said, “this is totally new, it’s a back to school expo.”
Raffa said nearly twenty vendors participated in the event, that took place Saturday at Warwick Mall from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Your Eyewitness News team was on hand giving away prizes, giveaways, and photos!
During the Expo, we collected school supplies. Items will be distributed to students in need throughout Rhode Island by Back to School Celebration.
At the expo, Lance Aleksiewcz, a father of two from North Smithfield.
He told us, he spent between $50-$75 per child to get them prepared for the new school year.
Aleksiewcz understands that can be a burden for many families. Making Saturday’s drive important.
“It can be a big expense,” he said. “I think having any kind of drive that involves school supplies is just going to help all the schools in the state.”
There is still time to make a donation:
- Index cards, Sharpie pens, Highlighters, Erasers, Pencil Sharpeners, Pencils, Ballpoint Pens, Pencil Pouches, Notebooks, Calculators, Calendars, Graph Paper, Folders, Laptop Bags, Lunch Bags, Post-It Notes, Backpacks
Check out what some of the vendors had to say:
Check out what the YMCA has to offer you and your children:
The kids might be heading back to school, but, Strategies for Wealth want’s to teach you a thing or two about protecting your assets.
We all know it can be difficult to make financial plans for the future, but Christina Gatteri from Me Next Year wants to help you take the stress out of that process.
The health of our children should be front and center. That is why Milestones Pediatric Dentistry wants to see your kids for teeth cleaning as early as one-year-old.
Teaching your children to respect others and themselves can be down through sports! Mastery Martial Arts breaks that down for us.
Learning doesn’t have to stop at the end of the school day. Sylvan Learning can tailor a specific learning agenda for your student. From learning STEM to college prep assistance.
The expo caps Eyewitness News’ Back to School Week coverage. In case you missed it, you’ll find some of the stories below, as well as some other back-to-school resources.
BACK TO SCHOOL HEADLINES
- Cranston’s Eden Park School showcases newly renovated school
- Jarring back-to-school ad hopes to bring an end to mass shootings
- Eyewitness News caps Back to School Week with Expo, supply drive
- Only 2 RI school districts are without career and tech education
- School districts seek to expand career and technical education programs
- Analyst: Bulletproof backpacks provide false sense of security
- With help of bond money, many RI school districts going beyond repairs
- Superintendent: Cranston school renovation will be ‘model’ for RI
- North Providence shows off new and improved elementary schools
- Families spend almost $700 on back-to-school shopping
- How to avoid ‘helicopter parenting’
- RI communities fear costs as over 10,000 students apply for charter schools
- RI having trouble keeping up with charter school demand
- Providence students head back to class with district on mend
- RI school wants kids to be smart about smartphones