(LIN) — U.S. Ambassador Susan Rice withdrew from her name from consideration for the secretary of state position on Thursday.
In a letter addressed to President Barack Obama, Rice wrote:
I am highly honored to be considered by you for appointment as Secretary of State. I am fully confident that I could serve our country ably and effectively in that role. However, if nominated, I am now convinced that the confirmation process would be lengthy, disruptive and costly — to you and to our most pressing national and international priorities. That trade-off is simply not worth it to our country. It is far more important that we devote precious legislative hours and energy to enacting your core goals … Therefore, I respectfully request that you no longer consider my candidacy at this time.
While Rice does not address Republican criticism directly in her letter to Obama, she does mention that the position of Secretary of State has become "politicized."
According to the Associated Press, Obama accepted Rice's decision to remove her name from consideration.
Most recently, Rice had been the point of criticism of Republican leaders Sens. John McCain, R-Ariz., and Lindsay Graham, R-S.C., for allegedly misleading the public after the Sept. 11, 2012, attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi. Although Rice met with members of Congress to clear the air, both sides never seemed to clear the air, and Republicans vowed to do whatever was necessary to block her potential nomination.
Obama addressed Republican criticism of Rice in his first press conference after his re-election, telling the press, "They should go after me."
Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass, is now the presumed front-runner to fill this position.
An officer at the ACI is accused of using excessive force on a prisoner, state police said in a news release Thursday.
A landlord told officials he saw a man trying to break into one of his apartments, then tackled him to the ground until police arrived on scene.
As thousands of mourners paid their respects to a former leader, controversy surrounds the interpreter accused of using fake sign language at Tuesday’s memorial.
A state grand jury has indicted a 19-year-old on a murder charge for allegedly shooting a man to death while he was working on a vehicle in his driveway.
The group working to build a memorial at the site of a Rhode Island nightclub fire that killed 100 people said on Thursday there will be no formal memorial service at the site to mark the 11th anniversary of the fire, a departure from past…