CRANSTON, R.I. (WPRI) -- Over the next few days you may be using a space heater to fight off the cold, but keep in mind that they pose a serious fire hazard.
Multiple fires caused by improper use of space heaters have occurred in Southern New England recently, so officials are issuing a warning to those utilizing them.
"Anytime of year it's bad, but this time of year it's worse because of the holidays," said Cranston Deputy Fire Chief Kevin Morris.
Morris said he's dealt with a few space heater fires in his city in recent years, and says it comes down to misuse of the product.
"It's people not knowing how to use the equipment that they've bought and used to keep them warm," he said.
In order to keep your home safe from a fire, Morris said you should never:
- Put clothing near or on top of a space heater
- Put materials that could burn near a space heater
- Leave a running space heater unattended
- Leave the heater on when you go to sleep at night
- Place a running heater near your bed
Morris believes that if homeowners follow those tips, many fires will be prevented in the long run.
"If we can save one life by doing this and continue to put this message out to the public, it's going to save a life and it's very important to us," he added.
The deputy chief also warned against using an extension cord with space heaters because they're more prone to spark a fire that way.
Copyright WPRI 12
A fire broke out early Wednesday evening at the Amtrol building on Division Road in West Warwick.
A man was found dead in a carbon monoxide-filled home in Coventry Wednesday night, according to police and firefighters.
A pedestrian was struck and killed while crossing the street in Warwick Wednesday evening.
As the temperature drops, the demand for space heaters goes up; but these small heating devices are already responsible for three deaths over the Thanksgiving holiday.
Police say they found newspaper clipping related to mass shootings in the suspect arrested in connection to a University of New Haven gun scare.