NEW BEDFORD, Mass. (WPRI) -- Police are reporting a botched break-in led to an explosion on Monday morning.
The New Bedford Fire Department responded to a home on Richmond Street after residents reported smelling the odor of natural gas. When they arrived on scene, the fire crews heard a muffled explosion coming from a house.
Police said they believe somebody broke into the home in order to remove copper piping. They believe that the culprit cut into a steep pipe that fed natural gas into the gas water heater, which caused the gas to build up and eventually cause the explosion.
Neighbors say they heard the blast, and saw a man bolting from the scene.
"At first I didn't know what was going on," said neighbor Bob DaSilva, "Almost like an earthquake type of thing."
"I saw a guy come tearing out of there on a bicycle and go down the street," said neighbor James Reed.
A few hours later police took Kevin Livramento into custody. Liramento lives right behind the house that was damaged.
Police say Livramento was taken to Brigham and Woman's Hospital to be treated for injuries he sustained in the explosion. He is also facing several charges including breaking and entering and larceny.
The house reportedly sustained major damage.
Copyright WPRI 12
Police say a missing New Hampshire teenager who disappeared nearly two months ago has been in contact with her mother.
A large lottery jackpot is up for grabs tonight.
A toymaker headquartered in Pawtucket turned its workers around the world into elves Friday, to volunteer in needy communities.
Providence police are investigating after a car crashed and caught fire overnight.
A Warwick business has received initial state approval to become the first Rhode Island business to help patients seeking to join the state's growing medical marijuana program.