PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) - The RIDEM wants to notify the public about an unlicensed animal shelter that was in possession of a dog infected with the parvovirus and later died.
The stray dog was reportedly picked up in South Providence near Public Street and Prairie Avenue. Veterinarians say the highly contagious virus which is often fatal cannot be spread to humans and is passed from dog-to-dog.
According to officials, Ryan's Hope Rescue held a dog adoption event at the Exeter Animal Shelter on January 29. Rescue operator Gina Brown-Parra placed as many as 20 dogs in new homes at the adoption event.
Authorities are asking anyone who adopted a dog since January 15th from Ryan's Hope Rescue to contact a veterinarian immediately, especially if your pet is experiencing vomiting, diarrhea, depression, or fever.
The rescue has been issued an order to cease and desist and was also given a written warning that proper licensure is required.
Brown-Parra says she picks up strays in Providence, Cranston, and Coventry, often turning them over to the SPCA for adoption.
If you've adopted a dog from Ryan's Hope Rescue that is sick or has been diagnosed with any illness contact RI State Veterinarian Scott Marshall, DVM at 222-4700 ext. 4503.
Or if you're missing your dog from the Providence, Cranston, or Coventry area contact your local animal control officer.
Child hospitalized after being struck by vehicle.
A local fire chief is hanging up his hat after decades on the job.
Residents gathered for a candle light memorial ceremony Tuesday evening, honoring Nelson Mandela for his life of service in the struggle for human dignity.
Decorating for the holiday season is a staple in many Rhode Islander’s yearly traditions, but holiday decorating is the leading cause of injury in the last months of the year.
A gas leak in Pawtucket is under control after a gas line break on Waltham Street early Tuesday afternoon.