PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) – Providence School Department officials are declining to say why the district parted ways with its $133,000-a-year executive director of development, partnership and engagement last week.
A spokesperson for Providence schools confirmed Doris De Los Santos is no longer employed with the district, but did not say whether she was terminated or resigned. De Los Santos’s last day of employment was April 9.
De Los Santos also declined to comment.
Councilwoman Sabina Matos told Eyewitness News the “families of Providence are losing one of their greatest advocates.” She declined to comment directly on the reason De Los Santos is no longer with the district, but said “it is shameful that a district with a student population that is more than 62% Latinx doesn’t have any Latinx members on their leadership team.”
De Los Santos was hired in 2012 under former Superintendent Susan Lusi, but remained with the district after Lusi was replaced by current Superintendent Chris Maher. The two had a contentious relationship behind the scenes, but never clashed in public.
De Los Santos is also a former member of the state parole board and twice ran unsuccessfully in Democratic primaries against Sen. Frank Ciccone.
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Dog sniffs out missing cat stuck in Auburn storm drain
- RI State Troopers to run in Boston Marathon
- Two letters won't stop this marathoner
- New Bedford officers honored for heroic actions