KANSAS CITY, Kan. (CNN/YOUTUBE/KCPD) - Police in Kansas City released dash-cam video of officers interacting with NFL player Jovan Belcher hours before he died.
Police said Belcher killed his girlfriend Kasandra Perkins at their home the morning of Dec. 1 before then shooting himself in front of Chiefs' coaches and management.
The video shows officers pulling up on Belcher, who appeared drunk and asleep at the wheel of his car early that morning.
- Officer: "Talk to the officers right there on the other side of the window for just a minute."
- Officer: "What's up boss?"
- Officer: "Brand new Bentley."
- Officer: "When we came up on it was in drive... he was thinking about taking off."
- Officer: "I don't think you stole it."
- Officer: "Sir, where are you headed tonight?"
- Belcher: "Upstairs."
- Officer: "Upstairs in this building? OK, so you're not going to be driving?"
- Officer: "You live right here? You just need to go upstairs. OK? That's going to be your best bet."
- Officer: "We're trying to cut you a break here."
- Belcher: "Yeah. Yeah."
- Officer: "Go ahead and step out, brother. I'll roll up your windows, brother."
- Other officer: "Do you know how to roll up windows on a Bentley?"
-Jovon Belcher steps out of car-
- Officer: "How we doing tonight, man?"
- Officer: "The only reason I'm asking you, man, is like you said... (inaudible)
- Officer: "You know you got a lot riding on it. You know you got a lot to lose."
- Officer: "I know you're car is running, and you're passed out inside. You weren't driving. You are correct on that."
- Belcher: "I wasn't. I was upstairs."
- Officer: "That's why going upstairs is going to be a good place for you to go back to. You understand, right?"
- Belcher: "I appreciate that."
- Officer: "All right. I appreciate you not putting this thing in drive and taking off. You got your key?"
- Belcher: "It's a $200,000 car."
- Officer: "I'll make that in like three years."
- Officer: "You going to call the girl and head back upstairs for a while?"
- Belcher: "Yeah."
- Officer: "I'd say we probably stay up there for the night. I wouldn't be driving anywhere."
- Belcher: "You got to understand. I got a girl with my other girl."
- Officer: "I understand how that's working, but you're crashing out in the car out in front of an apartment building. It ain't looking good for the...(inaudible)"
- Belcher: "I wasn't driving."
- Officer: " I understand you weren't driving. But you're inside the car, and the car's running."
- Officer: "All right, well I appreciate you being cooperative... not putting it in drive and taking off. I hate these Crown Vics... are embarrassing."
- Belcher: "There's no way."
- Belcher: "Thank you. Thank you. I appreciate it. I really do. You boys have a good one."
A landlord told officials he saw a man trying to break into one of his apartments, then tackled him to the ground until police arrived on scene.
As thousands of mourners paid their respects to a former leader, controversy surrounds the interpreter accused of using fake sign language at Tuesday’s memorial.
A state grand jury has indicted a 19-year-old on a murder charge for allegedly shooting a man to death while he was working on a vehicle in his driveway.
The group working to build a memorial at the site of a Rhode Island nightclub fire that killed 100 people said on Thursday there will be no formal memorial service at the site to mark the 11th anniversary of the fire, a departure from past…
If you’re thinking about popping the question but are terrified about buying an engagement ring, Problem Solver Susan Hogan will help you get down on one knee without breaking the bank.