Updated: Wednesday, 12 Sep 2012, 5:56 AM EDT
Published : Tuesday, 11 Sep 2012, 11:17 PM EDT
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — Rhode Island health officials are warning people who ate raw onions at a cookout at the Rhode Island Veterans Home in Bristol that they may have been exposed to listeria.
The state announced Tuesday that onions served at last Friday's cookout may have come from the same source as onions that recently tested positive for the food-borne illness.
No illnesses have been reported, but the health department advises those who ate onions at the cookout to contact their healthcare provider if they experience symptoms of listeria such as high fever, severe headaches, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain or diarrhea.
The state says it is monitoring residents and staff at the Veterans Home for signs of illness.
The onions were not sold at retail stores.